Please note this guide is currently outdated due to recent UI updates within the StreamShark portal.
StreamShark Event platform is compatible with the latest encoding appliance in the Matrox Monarch family - the Monarch LCS.
Let's outline the steps required to get you streaming your live event with Matrox devices and StreamShark
Matrox Monarch LCS
Monarch LCS is a compact, easy-to-use, two-input lecture capture appliance. It accepts video from any SDI or HDMI camera and presentation content over HDMI from computers. The inputs can be combined prior to encoding in a variety of production layouts, including picture-in-picture and side-by-side.
For more details on Monarch LCS, click on the image below.
Using Matrox Monarch LCS with StreamShark
Step 1: Locate your Monarch HDX Appliance
Scan your network to locate the Monarch LCS appliance using the Matrox Monarch LCS Utils application or the device's IP Address. (You can use any device on the network that supports a standard web browsing application such as a computer, smartphone or tablet.)
Step 2: Launch the Matrox Monarch LCS Command Center
Double-click on the device in the Matrox Monarch LCS Utils application or use its IP address to launch the Matrox Monarch LCS Command Center, the application for remotely configuring the Monarch LCS device.
Step 3: Setup your StreamShark Streaming Event
1. Sign into your StreamShark account, go to Streaming Event and set up your Streaming Event as usual. As an example, we’ve created an event called ‘Streaming With the Matrox Monarch LCS’. Ensure that for the Main-Event Settings you select 'Dedicated Server Source'.
2. Note the Event Name displayed in the General Settings section of the Streaming Event Overview. For this event, the Event Name is ‘live-stream-matrox-monarch-lcs'.
Step 4: Add your Matrox Monarch LCS Hardware Encoder
Go to 'Dedicated Resource' in the side menu, click on the 'Hardware Encoders' menu option and in the Manage Hardware Encoders screen, click 'Add New'.
Step 5: Add Details for your Matrox Monarch Hardware Encoder
Fill in the details for your Matrox Monarch LCS hardware encoder in the 'Add New Hardware Encoder' screen. In the General Settings section:
1. Give an indicative name such as the location it is streaming from in the Name field. For example, 'EN201-Room-913' depicts Engineering building 201 and Room 913.
2. Select your event (noted in Step 3.2) from the Event drop down list. In this example, the event's name is ‘live-stream-matrox-monarch-lcs’.
3. Select 'Matrox Monarch LCS' from the Hardware Encoder Type drop-down list.
4. Select the polling interval from the Polling Interval field. This configures the Monarch HDX to poll periodically to check for new configuration instructions like start, stop or other changes you might have made to the encoder settings.
5. In the Encoder Settings section, for the 'Operating Mode' select 'Side-by-Side' and Layout AB (1,1) configuration. For the remaining settings, enter your preferred Matrox Monarch LCS settings and click 'Save'.
Note: StreamShark's integration for the Monarch LCS offers three operating modes - Single Isolated, Picture-in-Picture and Side-by-Side. For further details on the Operating Mode, please refer to the Matrox Monarch LCS User Guide.
Step 6: Controlling your Matrox Monarch LCS Hardware Encoder
Your encoder is now visible in the Manage Hardware Encoders list which displays all the devices you have. The functions of the various buttons you can see in the row for the encoder are described below:
- Under the Event column, the Status Icon () next to the streaming event name shows the encoder’s status. It’s Red when the encoder is not streaming and turns Green when the encoder is streaming.
- Under the Link column, the 'Link' button () opens the XML file which has to be loaded onto the encoder.
- Under the Refresh column, the 'Refresh' button () generates a new URL for the XML file, which is helpful for security purposes. However, the XML file with the new URL will have to be re-loaded onto the encoder.
- Under the Actions column, the 'Play' button () instructs the encoder to start streaming whereas the 'Stop' button () instructs the encoder to stop streaming.
Step 7: Upload the XML File to your Encoder
1. Click on the link button () and open the XML file.
2. Load the XML file in to the encoder. You can either transfer it via USB (refer to the Matrox Monarch User Guide for more details) or copy the XML file link and paste it into the Matrox Monarch LCS Command Center application. The process for using the copy-paste method is to:
- Copy the XML file URL.
- Paste it in the 'Load settings from a web page' field under Device > Automatic Configuration > From Web Page. Make sure you select the ‘Load settings at device reboot’ and do not select the ‘Disable periodic polling’ option.
- A confirmation window will appear. Click 'OK'.
Step 8: Start Streaming
1. Click on the 'Play' button () to start streaming.
2. Click on the 'Refresh' button () at the top of the page to change the config file (xml) URL.
Note: The encoder status Status Icon () under the Event column may take a few seconds to turn Green depending on the polling time set.
If you have any questions or issues following this guide, please email email@example.com and we'll try to get you up and running in no time.