Using our API
With MetaCDN you don't have to manage your content through our web portal. Our API lets you integrate your existing content management systems for a super-streamlined work flow.
MetaCDN offers a RESTful, JSON based web service which allows you to perform most content management functions available through our web portal. Using the API, you can:
- Accelerate your web site.
- Broadcast a Live Stream
- Accelerate content and media.
- Create branding templates to customise your media delivery.
- Expose your content and media meta-data to third party sites via our oEmbed service.
API documentation is available from http://www.metacdn.com/apidocs
Using the API
The API is designed to be called programmatically from your own user-written code (e.g. Java, Python, Perl, etc.). The base URL of the HTTPS REST API service is https://secure.metacdn.com/api/. For testing interoperability, we have found the following tools useful:
- HTTP Client - A Mac OS X developer tool for debugging HTTP services by graphically creating & inspecting complex HTTP messages.
- Wiztools.org RestClient - Java (multiplatform) application to test RESTful webservices.
- If you are having difficulty color matching your branding template to your website, we highly recommend the Rainbow Color Tools Firefox Add-on, which can extract the color scheme from any website's images and CSS.
The majority of methods and end-points in the MetaCDN API require authentication. Depending on the end-point and method called, a username and secret key are required. Authentication is performed via HTTP Digest access authentication over a secure HTTPS (SSL/TLS) connection. You can get your API login details from the MetaCDN web portal. To find them, simply log into the MetaCDN portal at http://www.metacdn.com. From the menu at the top of the page, click My account.
Your API authentication details are displayed on the lower right of the page: